Rainbow books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our Curation Team for children ages 2-5 years old. Enjoy these beautiful picture books with your older toddlers and preschoolers that both ignite imagination and wonder and feature diverse and traditionally under-represented characters and families.
- Enjoy picture books curated for children ages 2-5.
- Affirm your values of equity, anti-racism, social justice, inclusion, love, and yes, fun, while enjoying expert-curated, high-quality children's books with your child(ren).
- Our books proudly feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other traditionally under-represented characters and families in children's books.
- Feel pride knowing you're exercising your consumer power to be counted in support of diverse children's books. OurShelves advocates for the many diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant, yet largely under-estimated, audience for such books through our growing membership.
- Our Curation Team members who review your books share expertise from librarianship, teaching, early childhood development, psychology, racial and other identity bias, and parenting. All Curation Team members -- and their children -- share the lived experience of being under-represented in children's books.
- After your first shipment, which will ship within 5-7 business days of you placing your order, books arrive quarterly -- in March, June, September, and December.
- Free shipping.
Who will love these books?
These beautiful picture books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our expert Curation Team for children ages 2-5 years old.
When will my box book be delivered?
Your first box will ship within 5-7 business days of placing your order. After your first box, packages will be delivered each quarter - in March, June, September, and December. You will receive a notification each time on of your boxes has shipped.
What will be inside my box?
Three-book boxes generally include two hardback books and one paperback book. Five-book boxes generally include three hardback books and two paperback books. With each three-book or five-book delivery, in addition to your books, you’ll receive a post card with discussion questions and/or a special activity idea for one of the books to keep the fun and conversation going! (During the pandemic, these special activity ideas are currently provided electronically.)
Occasionally, the paperback book will be replaced by a board book if our Curation Team loves the board book, feels it is age-appropriate for this age range, and the price of the board book is comparable to the price of a paperback book.
Why do you include paperback books?
While paperback books are often somewhat older books, we offer the combination of hardback and paperback books because there are wonderful paperback books centering under-represented characters and families that are worth cherishing. Combining hardback and paperback books also allows us to stay within the current price points.
If you would be interested in boxes with only hardback books at a higher price point, please let us know here.
Who pays for shipping?
OurShelves does - you receive FREE SHIPPING with your subscription! Shipping within the U.S. is on us. If you’re outside the U.S., please let us know by clicking here — we are exploring the best ways to ship outside the United States!
What if I have feedback to share?
Yes, please. We always welcome your feedback here.
Books previously featured
We Love It
Our family loves the Ourshelves subsciption! The books we have received are all excellent and our two-year-old asks for us to read them all the time. We use them for fun, thoughtful stories and for understanding - for example "Mamma, Mommy, and Me in the Middle" helped our kiddo understand the concept of missing someone and gave her some helpful tools. Ourshelves has sent us some of our favorite books and we appreciate the 'by us, for us' model of celebrating diverse authors and their diverse identities.
Best gift ever
My granddaughter has loved each and every book. The selections are well chosen.
Great book selection!
Our grandchildren love these books! They are 1 and 3 and parents are of mixed ethnicity. It’s great for them to see themselves represented visually in a wide range of picture books.
Engaging, creative, inclusive books!
LOVED this subscription. My kids got to have such diversity in their bedtime reading materials. I’ll be giving these subscriptions to friends for years to come!
OurShelves is a quarterly diverse book box for children.
We curate high-quality children’s books that feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other characters and families currently under-represented in kids’ books.
We advocate for the many more diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant audience for such books through our growing membership.