Curated for children ages 5-8, this book box is filled with diverse books for kindergarten and elementary-aged children as well as diverse books for elementary school classrooms and libraries. Enjoy these inspiring picture books that both ignite imagination and wonder and feature diverse and traditionally under-represented characters and families.
- Cherish diverse books for your elementary school and kindergarten-aged children (ages 5-8). Note that these selections are generally picture books and not early readers or chapter books (occasionally, we will include an early reader or early chapter book).
- Affirm your values of equity, anti-racism, social justice, inclusion, love, and yes, fun, while enjoying expert-curated, high-quality children's books with your child(ren).
- Our books proudly feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other traditionally under-represented characters and families in children's books.
- Feel pride knowing you're exercising your consumer power to be counted in support of diverse children's books. OurShelves advocates for the many diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant, yet largely under-estimated, audience for such books through our growing membership.
- Our Curation Team members who review your books share expertise from librarianship, teaching, early childhood development, psychology, racial and other identity bias, and parenting. All Curation Team members -- and their children -- share the lived experience of being under-represented in children's books.
- After your first shipment, which will ship within 5-7 business days of you placing your order, books arrive quarterly -- in March, June, September, and December.
- Free shipping.
Who will love these books?
These beautiful picture books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our expert Curation Team for children ages 5-8 years old. Note that these are generally picture books and not early readers or chapter books (occasionally, we will include an early reader or early chapter book). If you would like OurShelves, in the future, to expand our offerings to reach older children and by offering chapter books, please let us know here.
When will my box book be delivered?
Your first box will ship within 5-7 business days of placing your order. After your first box, packages will be delivered each quarter - in March, June, September, and December. You will receive a notification each time one of your boxes has shipped.
What will be inside my box?
Three-book boxes generally include two hardback books and one paperback book. Five-book boxes generally include three hardback books and two paperback books. With each three-book or five-book delivery, in addition to your books, you’ll receive a post card with discussion questions and/or a special activity idea for one of your books to keep the fun and conversation going! (During the pandemic, these special activity ideas are currently provided electronically).
Why do you include paperback books?
While paperback books are often somewhat older books, we offer the combination of hardback and paperback books because there are wonderful paperback books centering under-represented characters and families that are worth cherishing. Combining hardback and paperback books also allows us to stay within the current price points.
If you would be interested in boxes with only hardback books at a higher price point, please let us know here.
Who pays for shipping?
OurShelves does - you receive FREE SHIPPING with your subscription! Shipping within the U.S. is on us. If you’re outside the U.S., please let us know by clicking here — we are exploring the best ways to ship outside the United States!
What if I have feedback to share?
Yes, please. We always welcome your feedback here.
Books previously featured
The best gift
OurShelves has stocked our home with beautiful books portraying a wide range of families. Some of our family’s favorite books have come from OurShelves and it’s always exciting to open our new books when they arrive. Subscriptions make great gifts!!!
Such fantastic books!
We have been Ourshelves subscribers since my nephews were young enough for rainbow boxes and now they have grown out of the treehouse box. We've shared so many wonderful stories with them, and their parents have been grateful for the quality and variety, too. The Ourshelves team is so responsive and helpful - they even noticed that my nephews are twins and made a point to include twin books in the boxes. We've sent Ourshelves boxes to almost all the kiddos in our lives and will continue to do so!
Awesome experience! The variation of books was perfect!
Wonderful and amazing books! My child has loved every single one and many of them have sparked delightful conversations.
OurShelves is a quarterly diverse book box for children.
We curate high-quality children’s books that feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other characters and families currently under-represented in kids’ books.
We advocate for the many more diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant audience for such books through our growing membership.