Rainbow books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our Curation Team for children ages 2-5 years old. Gift these beautiful picture books to the special older toddlers and preschoolers in your world that both ignite imagination and wonder and feature diverse and traditionally under-represented characters and families.
- Gift picture books curated for children ages 2-5.
- Affirm your values of inclusion, equity, social justice, love, and yes, fun, while sharing expert-curated, high-quality children's books with the special children in your world.
- Our books proudly feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other traditionally under-represented characters and families in children's books.
- Feel pride knowing you're exercising your consumer power to be counted in support of diverse children's books. OurShelves advocates for the many diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant, yet largely under-estimated, audience for such books.
- Our Curation Team members who review your books share expertise from librarianship, teaching, early childhood development, psychology, racial and other identity bias, and parenting. All Curation Team members -- and their children -- share the lived experience of being under-represented in children's books.
- The first shipment will ship within 5-7 business days after placing your order. If you're purchasing a subscription with more than one box, your books will arrive quarterly -- in March, June, September, and December.
- Free shipping.
Who will love these books?
These beautiful picture books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our expert Curation Team for children ages 2-5 years old.
When will my box book be delivered?
Your first gifted box will ship within 5-7 business days of placing your order. If you gifted a subscription with more than one book box, after your first box, packages will be delivered to your gift recipient once each quarter - in March, June, September, and December. You will receive a notification each time one of your boxes has shipped to your gift recipient.
What will be inside my box?
Three-book boxes generally include two hardback books and one paperback book. Five-book boxes generally include three hardback books and two paperback books. With each three-book or five-book delivery, in addition to your books, you’ll receive a post card with discussion questions and/or a special activity idea for one of the books to keep the fun and conversation going! (During the pandemic, these special activity ideas are currently provided electronically.)
Occasionally, the paperback book will be replaced by a board book if our Curation Team loves the board book, feels it is age-appropriate for this age range, and the price of the board book is comparable to the price of a paperback book.
Why do you include paperback books?
While paperback books are often somewhat older books, we offer the combination of hardback and paperback books because there are wonderful paperback books centering under-represented characters and families that are worth cherishing. Combining hardback and paperback books also allows us to stay within the current price points.
If you would be interested in boxes with only hardback books at a higher price point, please let us know here.
Who pays for shipping?
OurShelves does - you receive FREE SHIPPING with your subscription! Shipping within the U.S. is on us. If you’re outside the U.S., please let us know by clicking here — we are exploring the best ways to ship outside the United States!
What if I have feedback to share?
Yes, please. We always welcome your feedback here.
Books previously featured
Best subscription ever!
I have been a subscriber of our shelves for several years. In every single box I have received, all of the book are exceptional. Not a single other subscription I have tried has had this level of quality. The stories are always wonderful and the illustrations are just as spectacular. I keep saying how much I would love if they started offering monthly deliveries.
We have loved the boxes we’ve got. Many of our favorites (Bodies Are Cool, Bedtime Bonnet, Plenty of Hugs, Amy Wu and the Patchwork Dragon) have come from OurShelves!
We Love It
Our family loves the Ourshelves subsciption! The books we have received are all excellent and our two-year-old asks for us to read them all the time. We use them for fun, thoughtful stories and for understanding - for example "Mamma, Mommy, and Me in the Middle" helped our kiddo understand the concept of missing someone and gave her some helpful tools. Ourshelves has sent us some of our favorite books and we appreciate the 'by us, for us' model of celebrating diverse authors and their diverse identities.
Best gift ever
My granddaughter has loved each and every book. The selections are well chosen.
OurShelves is a quarterly diverse book box for children.
We curate high-quality children’s books that feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other characters and families currently under-represented in kids’ books.
We advocate for the many more diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant audience for such books through our growing membership.