Treehouse books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our Curation Team for children ages 5-8 years old. Gift these inspiring picture books to the special kindergarteners and early elementary-aged children in your world that both ignite imagination and wonder and feature diverse and traditionally under-represented characters and families.
- Gift picture books curated for children ages 5-8. Note that these selections are generally picture books and not early readers or chapter books (occasionally, we will include an early reader or early chapter book).
- Affirm your values of equity, anti-racism, social justice, inclusion, love, and yes, fun, while sharing expert-curated, high-quality children's books with the special children in your world.
- Our books proudly feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other traditionally under-represented characters and families in children's books.
- Feel pride knowing you're exercising your consumer power to be counted in support of diverse children's books. OurShelves advocates for the many diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant, yet largely under-estimated, audience for such books through our growing membership.
- Our Curation Team members who review your books share expertise from librarianship, teaching, early childhood development, psychology, racial and other identity bias, and parenting. All Curation Team members -- and their children -- share the lived experience of being under-represented in children's books.
- The first shipment will ship within 5-7 business days after placing your order. If you're purchasing a subscription with more than one box, your books will arrive quarterly -- in March, June, September, and December.
- Free shipping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who will love these books?
These beautiful picture books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our expert Curation Team for children ages 5-8 years old. Note that these are generally picture books and not early readers or chapter books (occasionally, we will include an early reader or early chapter book). If you would like OurShelves, in the future, to expand our offerings to reach older children and by offering chapter books, please let us know here.
When will my box book be delivered?
Your first gifted box will be delivered within 5-7 business days of placing your order. If you gifted a subscription with more than one book box, after your first box, packages will be delivered to your gift recipient once each quarter - in March, June, September, and December. You will receive a notification each time one of your boxes has shipped to your gift recipient.
What will be inside my box?
Three-book boxes generally include two hardback books and one paperback book. Five-book boxes generally include three hardback books and two paperback books. With each three-book or five-book delivery, in addition to your books, you’ll receive a post card with discussion questions and/or a special activity idea to keep the fun and conversation going! (During the pandemic, these special activity ideas are currently provided electronically).
Why do you include paperback books?
While paperback books are often older books, we offer the combination of hardback and paperback books because there are wonderful paperback books centering diverse characters and families that are worth cherishing. Combining hardback and paperback books also allows us to stay within the current price points.
If you would be interested in boxes with only hardback books at a higher price point, please let us know here.
Who pays for shipping?
OurShelves does - you receive FREE SHIPPING with your subscription! Shipping within the U.S. is on us. If you’re outside the U.S., please let us know by clicking here — we are exploring the best ways to ship outside the United States!
What if I have feedback to share?
Yes, please. We always welcome your feedback here.
Books previously featured
Wonderful source for representative books
My books arrived quickly and in perfect condition. The books combine fun and relatable stories with beautiful artwork. I enjoyed reading them and sharing them with family members. I look forward to sharing these books with the young readers I tutor. And I appreciate the opportunity to support publishers who sell inclusive books. I look forward to my next book box!
Gifts that keep on giving!
Three generations of poets, authors, songwriters, and playwrights in my family have bestowed upon their descendants a love of reading, but they didn't write about the topics that my "special" children and grandchildren could identify with. Discovering Ourshelves has been a blessing, on many levels. For the past few years, shopping for birthday and Christmas gifts for my disabled, ***, feminist, and biracial loved ones has been a no-brainer! I enjoy reading the books first, then I inscribe them, wrap them up, send them on, and eagerly await the heartfelt thank-you notes.
Kitty, thank you for being such an incredibly special member of our community! The words you share above mean the world to us! Thank you again to you, your children and grand-children for partnering with us to ensure all kids and all families have a place on OurShelves!
Amazing quality & diverse representation
Through OurShelves, my family has discovered some of the most beautiful, life-affirming books that represent kids and families of diverse backgrounds and values. When our book box arrives, I know that it will contain high-quality stories that emphasize how connected we all are and how what really makes a family is LOVE. I have given OurShelves book boxes as gifts several times, and recommend them highly! The books are wonderful, and the staff is so responsive and kind.
Jordan, thank you for these incredibly kind words! You are an amazing partner in our collective mission to ensure all kids and all families have a place on OurShelves! Thank you for partnering with us in this effort!
I’m a huge fan. We bought a subscription for my daughter’s tutor who now teaches Kindergarten at an elementary school. She shared a picture from her classroom with us last week and I noticed 2 books from Ourshelves on “her shelves.” I’m excited to get subscriptions on my list to give as Christmas presents for nieces and nephews. Keep up the great work!
OurShelves is a quarterly diverse book box for children.
We curate high-quality children’s books that feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other characters and families currently under-represented in kids’ books.
We advocate for the many more diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant audience for such books through our growing membership.