Treehouse books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our Curation Team for children ages 5-8 years old. Enjoy these inspiring picture books with your kindergarteners and early elementary-aged children that both ignite imagination and wonder and feature diverse and traditionally under-represented characters and families.
- Enjoy picture books curated for children ages 5-8. Note that these selections are generally picture books and not early readers or chapter books (occasionally, we will include an early reader or early chapter book).
- Affirm your values of equity, anti-racism, social justice, inclusion, love, and yes, fun, while enjoying expert-curated, high-quality children's books with your child(ren).
- Our books proudly feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other traditionally under-represented characters and families in children's books.
- Feel pride knowing you're exercising your consumer power to be counted in support of diverse children's books. OurShelves advocates for the many diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant, yet largely under-estimated, audience for such books through our growing membership.
- Our Curation Team members who review your books share expertise from librarianship, teaching, early childhood development, psychology, racial and other identity bias, and parenting. All Curation Team members -- and their children -- share the lived experience of being under-represented in children's books.
- After your first shipment, which will ship within 5-7 business days of you placing your order, books arrive quarterly -- in March, June, September, and December.
- Free shipping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who will love these books?
These beautiful picture books are mindfully and lovingly chosen by our expert Curation Team for children ages 5-8 years old. Note that these are generally picture books and not early readers or chapter books (occasionally, we will include an early reader or early chapter book). If you would like OurShelves, in the future, to expand our offerings to reach older children and by offering chapter books, please let us know here.
When will my box book be delivered?
Your first box will ship within 5-7 business days of placing your order. After your first box, packages will be delivered each quarter - in March, June, September, and December.
What will be inside my box?
Three-book boxes generally include two hardback books and one paperback book. Five-book boxes generally include three hardback books and two paperback books. With each three-book or five-book delivery, in addition to your books, you’ll receive a post card with discussion questions and/or a special activity idea to keep the fun and conversation going! (During the pandemic, these special activity ideas are currently provided electronically).
Why do you include paperback books?
While paperback books are often older books, we offer the combination of hardback and paperback books because there are wonderful paperback books centering diverse characters and families that are worth cherishing. Combining hardback and paperback books also allows us to stay within the current price points.
If you would be interested in boxes with only hardback books at a higher price point, please let us know here.
Who pays for shipping?
OurShelves does - you receive FREE SHIPPING with your subscription! Shipping within the U.S. is on us. If you’re outside the U.S., please let us know by clicking here — we are exploring the best ways to ship outside the United States!
What if I have feedback to share?
Yes, please. We always welcome your feedback here.
Books previously featured
Awesome experience! The variation of books was perfect!
Wonderful and amazing books! My child has loved every single one and many of them have sparked delightful conversations.
Excellent customer service
When a package was taken from my porch, OurShelves replaced it promptly! Every time I have sent an email I have gotten a rapid response.
Wonderful source for representative books
My books arrived quickly and in perfect condition. The books combine fun and relatable stories with beautiful artwork. I enjoyed reading them and sharing them with family members. I look forward to sharing these books with the young readers I tutor. And I appreciate the opportunity to support publishers who sell inclusive books. I look forward to my next book box!
OurShelves is a quarterly diverse book box for children.
We curate high-quality children’s books that feature racially and ethnically diverse, LGBTQ+, disabled, feminist, and other characters and families currently under-represented in kids’ books.
We advocate for the many more diverse books still needed, in part by proving the significant audience for such books through our growing membership.